Friday, August 27, 2010

Sesame Orange Shrimp



More often then not, my food photos never end up looking as pretty as I wish they would- instead, you just have to trust me when I saw they taste good!

Tonight's dinner was Sesame Orange Shrimp, which I picked out of a copy of Everyday Food. This little food magazine is awesome- I inherited a lot of my grandma's copies, and had a subscription myself for a year. It is from Martha Stewart, and is full of recipes- with pictures for each one!

The Sesame Orange Shrimp not only looked good in the magazine, but more importantly, it tasted good. The only part I did not like about this recipe was peeling the raw shrimp- made me really think about how my dinner was once living...

Other then that, it was fairly easy, and pretty quick. I had another dinner going at the same time (a personal-size veggie pizza for my vegetarian husband), and had no problem cooking two meals at once.

I served this over brown rice. Next time, I'll add a vegetable side dish like spicy broccoli or bok choy.

Ingredients:

2 large egg whites
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sesame seeds
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
1 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

1.) In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until frothy. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.

2.) Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two or three batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minuets per side; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Add more oil to skillet if necessary for remaining batches.

3.) Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Add orange juice, soy sauce, and sugar; boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet; add scallions, and cook until heated through and coated with sauce, about 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment