Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blueberry and Banana Buttermilk Pancakes




Two recipes today! Both use buttermilk as I had to buy a small container to make my husband's birthday cake last week, and needed ways to use it up. Hence, my first recipe: blueberry and banana buttermilk pancakes.

I used Joy of Cooking's basic pancake recipe, and followed their instructions for substitutions and additions for buttermilk pancakes.

Pancakes for dinner is a treat, and to make them taste even better, I added a lot of good for you fruit that we had around the apartment. This made about eight pancakes, and they were just as light and fluffy as promised. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1.) Whisk all the above ingredients together in a large bowl.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional) - I always put in vanilla!

2.) Whisk the wet ingredients in another bowl.

3.) Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently mix them together until just incorporated. (You will have a very thick batter.)

4.) Heat up your pan or griddle, add butter or spray to prevent sticking, and spoon about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake.

5.) Once you have poured the batter, add as many slices of banana and blueberries to each pancake as you wish. I found it to be easier to just add them to the batter as I went because I could then make sure each pancake got plenty of fruit.

6.) Serve with quality maple syrup and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment