Thursday, June 3, 2010

Potato, Zucchini, and Carrot Pancakes







My aunt sent me this recipe from April 2009's Better Homes and Gardens. I had tried making potato pancakes once before- learned the hard way that you don't want a lot of oil in the pan or else everything will break apart. So after that important lesson, I wanted to try making potato pancakes (with the addition of veggies this time) again.

I was also very happy to use the shredding disc for my food processor. I've always used my blade in the processor for cookie dough or pesto, and had fun watching all the veggies I stuck in the feed tube become shreds in the bowl below.

I've also never baked eggs before- or eaten sunny side up, so this was another new experience. Hubby and I (mostly me) were a bit worried about the eggs not being fully cooked, so I stuck them in longer then the recipe directed and the yolk became almost hard boiled. Still delicious though!

I had fun with this recipe, but found that the pancakes cooked quick, so next time would cook on lower heat and watch them more carefully.

This recipe suggest serving the pancakes alongside spring greens.

Ingredients:

nonstick cooking spray
1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 11/4 cups)
1 1/2 lb baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil

1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat two small baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2.) Drain zucchini in a colander; press to squeeze out excess liquid. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, potatoes, carrot, flour, 1 of the eggs, thyme, salt, and pepper.

3.) In extra-large nonstick skillet over heat half of the oil over medium heat. To make a pancake, spoon about a 1-cup portion of potato mixture into skillet; evenly press and round edges with back of spatula to form a pancake. Cook two pancakes at a time, 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.
4.)With the back of a wooden spoon or a 1/4-cup measure gently press each pancake, slightly off-center, to make a 3-inch-diameter depression, deep enough to hold an egg. Pour one egg in each nest. (Crack the egg into a cup first, then pour it into the nest, just in case you have a bad egg.) Place pancakes with eggs in oven, being careful not to tilt baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Transfer pancakes to serving plates.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment