Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jop Chai

I've had this recipe for quite some time, and when looking through my recipe boxes for some new things to cook this week, I decided it was time to try it. I was a bit hesitant as it's an Asian dish with a soy product (both of these things my husband doesn't like- though he'll tolerate the former.) I also was eager to just try something completely different, and thought it'd be good to expand our taste buds.

I'm happy to report that it was excellent- be sure you get the bean thread noodles, or the dish will have an entirely different taste and texture. I also added green onions to this, as I had some I was trying to use up. This is accompanied nicely with green tea.

Jop Chai (recipe taken from Moosewood Simple Suppers)

Ingredients:

4 oz. bean thread noodles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups thinly sliced red bell peppers
8 oz. veggie crumbles

Sauce:

1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil

1.) Soak bean thread noodles in hot tap water to cover until soft, about 15-20 minutes. When soft, drain and cut the noodles into 4-5 inch lengths, then toss them with dark sesame oil or vegetable oil.

2.) When the noodles soak, heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic, saute 2 minutes.

3.) Add the cabbage and saute a couple of minutes.

4.) Stir in the red bell peppers and continue to saute until veggies are crisp-tender.

5.) Add the veggie crumbles and cook about 2 minutes.

6.) Combine the sauce ingredients and add to the vegetables.

7.) Add the drained noodles and cook 2-3 minutes, until the noodles have absorbed most of the sauce. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment